Friday, January 14

kelvins

According to the U.S. Metric Association (talk about about being misunderstood!), the kelvin (K) temperature scale is an extension of the degree Celsius (°C) scale -- itself devised by dividing the range of temperature between the freezing and boiling temperatures of pure water at standard atmospheric conditions (sea level pressure) into 100 equal parts -- down to absolute zero, a hypothetical temperature characterized by a complete absence of heat energy.

Maybe us common folk should start using it: windchill is now -22°F , so -30°C , i.e. it now feels like 243 kelvins . Cé ti assez frette a ton goût ?? Anything below 250 kelvins is frigid! Stuck inside all day. Not that big a deal for me, I'm still recovering from a cold. Opened the front door this morning to get the mail. My nuts protested, my hand almost got glued to our red tin mailbox, and I nearly smashed our storm door window into pieces... the hydraulic stopper apparently isn't custom made for this weather.

Back safely inside, I think I'll watch a NYT/PBS-Frontline series called "The Secret History of the Credit Card". You can view the whole thing online.